When to Drink Electrolyte Water and What is it?
Electrolytes are minerals that carry an electrical charge when dissolved in water. They are vital for the healthy function of the nervous system, muscles and maintaining optimal body hydration and pH levels.
Electrolyte Waters That work
WOW HYDRATE Electrolyte waters are sugar free with added vitamins and unique push-cap technology that means the vitamins and electrolytes are as fresh and powerful as possible. Providing you with all the benefits before and during workouts as well as throughout the day.
- Being well hydrated is a crucial part of the preparation needed before exercise to achieve maximum performance.
- It is generally recommended to drink 500-600ml of fluid 2-3 hours before starting exercising. The addition of electrolytes allows the body to balance fluid levels and excrete any excess.
- Consuming a further 200ml of an electrolyte solution around 20-30 minutes before starting will replace any losses and ensure optimal hydration.
- Consuming an electrolyte solution during exercise will offset the fluid lost through sweat and heavier breathing. How much is needed depends on factors such as sweat rate, heat and humidity and exercise intensity and duration.
- As well as water, electrolytes are also lost from the body in sweat and these too need to be replaced to maintain fluid balance.
- Fluids containing electrolytes are absorbed into the body more rapidly than plain water allowing rehydration to be achieved faster, reducing the impact on performance.
- Sweat rates and the amount of sodium lost in sweat can vary dramatically between individuals. For those with heavy sweat and sodium losses drinking too much water without electrolytes can cause problems such as hyponatraemia (low levels of sodium in the body) and muscle cramps.
Throughout the day
- Consuming an electrolyte solution throughout the day improves the regulation of fluid balance in the body. Mild dehydration (not enough to feel thirsty) can cause feelings of tiredness and lethargy. However, maintaining good hydration throughout the day can improve energy levels and feelings of wellbeing.
- Mild dehydration also has negative impacts on mood and cognitive performance, including short term memory, attention, concentration and information processing. Consuming an electrolyte solution helps to prevent mild dehydration.
- Good hydration can help regulate appetite and aid weight management. Maintaining optimum hydration throughout the day reduces cravings for unhealthy snacks between meals and regulates appetite at meal times preventing over-eating.
- ORDER YOUR TASTER PACK Shop Now