The science of collagen in the body
Research shows adequate collagen levels are necessary for the proper function of your skin, nail, hair, muscles, tendons, joints, ligaments, bones, tissue, eyes, gut, heart and brain. There are several health benefits of collagen supported by research.
The Science of collagen in the body:
- It’s the most abundant protein in your body and vital for normal function.
- Collagen is a structural protein. It comes from the Greek word “kólla” which mean glue, and the Fresh “gène” meaning something that produces. It forms and holds many of your organs and tissues. It acts as the glue that holds your body together.
- Since it’s a major part of your connective tissue, collagen maintains the structure and integrity of your skin, muscle tissue, bones, and tendons
- It sends out important signals to your cells. These signals can combat inflammation and repair damaged cells
- Your collagen production declines naturally as you get older, so you may need to take supplements
- Collagen is concentrated in the extracellular matrix, ECM. This networked supports the cells of every tissue in your body.
- Here’s how essential collagen is, by dry mass.
* 90% of the sclera - the white of your eye
* 80% of tendons}
* 70-80% of the skin
* 60% of cartilage
* 30% bones
* 1-10% muscle
Best Sources of Collagen
Should you buy a collagen supplement? Or can you simply get it from the foods you eat?
The truth is you can find it in healthy foods like bone broth. Broth is one of the richest sources of collagen and it’s easy to make your own healthy keto version too.
Here are some other foods that may help your body create more collagen:
- Wild salmon
- Leafy greens like kale and spinach
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
Keep in mind, your body is not getting collagen directly from the foods. Rather, these foods may help your body produce more of it on its own. Collagen supplementation is the only way to absorb collagen directly. WOW HYDRATE Protein contains 20g of Collagen protein along with essential BCAAs and Vitamins.
- ORDER YOUR TASTER PACK Shop Now